February 14, 2011

The "Heart Healthy" Winner!!!

Well I have to say, I was fairly surprised by this contest. The entries were very few but the feedback was plentiful. I heard a lot on my Twitter stream and through emails that many of you are  currently subscribed to Door-to-Door Organics (or you live outside the delivery zone). I am delighted to hear that so many people are eating excellent organic produce!

The contest winner, David R., will be receiving a complimentary Bitty Box from Door-to-Door Organics. While David didn't submit a recipe I loved his response. It's very much in line with my own eating philosphy.

While there are a lot of great heart healthy recipes out there I personally want my organics to achieve their full nutritional potential, which means having them raw and having them within reach at all times.  Not to say I don't appreciate cooking, I just love the taste of crisp, fresh organic produce and build my meals around that on a daily basis.  

In addition, one generous ready, Peter West Carey, was outside of the delivery zone, but suggested if he win I give his prize to someone deserving. Check out his recipe here.

Oven Roasted Portobellas with Potatoes, Onions and Squash

090310-215207-7542Ingredients:
Portobello Mushrooms
Red Potatoes
White Onions
Italian Squash
Several cloves Fresh Garlic
1-2 teaspoons Mustard Powder
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup (or to taste) Balsamic or Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tablespoons honey

Directions: Chop potatoes, squash and onions into similarly sized pieces. Mix together in oven safe cookware. (Note: If you have a quicker cooking squash, you may want to reserve it and add midway through the cooking process.) Slice the mushrooms into generously thick portions and spread over the top of the other veggies. In a bowl or liquid measure, whisk together the garlic, spices, salt and pepper, oil, vinegar and honey. Drizzle over the top of the vegetables.
Roast in 350-375 degree (F) oven for about an hour or until veggies are tender, stirring once or twice to make sure the vegetables are evenly coated.
This one tastes prettier than it looks.


No comments: