May 4, 2011

Water Heals: Rejuvenating at A New Spirit Spa

It is no secret that water is necessary for our survival. We need it to function optimally. Water has also been a symbol of healing, rejuvenation, and rebirth. So when I was offered a chance to try out a session in flotation bed and Body Cleanse foot bath at A New Spirit spa in Denver I couldn't resist.

Located near the Highlands neighborhood on 29th Avenue, A New Spirit has Denver's only flotation beds. The flotation beds are designed not to be sensory depriving but rather limiting of stimulation. The water has about 800-1000 lbs of Epsom salts, enabling the body to float comfortably in just enough water to cover the ears. There is ambient music that can be turned off if you prefer. 

My first flotation session was certainly more than I expected. When I arrived I was coming off of a yoga teacher training weekend. I was incredibly sore and tired on an emotional and physical level.  I was checked in, offered tea or water, and shown to the shower room to rinse off any lotions and other product prior to entering the bed. Then on to the flotation bed. I'm not going to lie, they look very space age, I felt like Ripley from the Alien series climbing into a hibernation pod. Once I got in the bed, I felt quite warm despite the water is at room temperature. I closed the door, and got settled in. 

While not pitch black it is still fairly dark which I find very soothing. I began to explore different ways of resting in the bed, and my two favorites were in a standard Savasana type pose and Supta  Baddha Konasana. Soon the point where my skin ended and the water began fell aways. I felt at peace in my little cocoon and was able to walk through some meditations in my mind. Eventually even the meditation fell away, I am fairly certain I fell asleep. After an hour, there was a gentle knock on my bed and I slowly came back to full consciousness. The first thing I noticed as I exited the bed, I wasn't sore. When I walked in to the spa my triceps were so sore that I winced at certain movements. There was  no longer any pain. I am not sure if they results are typical but that is enough to ensure I will plan on floating after any major physical event (Races, yoga weekends, climbing weekends). Additionally, I had a new feeling of clarity and focus but not in a hyper but rather a way that was sustainable. 

Then it was back to the showers. After soaking in Epsom salt for an hour it's a good idea to wash your hair and such. The shower room at A New Spirit is nicely stocked with all kinds of yummy products you feel like you're at home. Once I was ready and dressed it was on to the Body Cleanse. 

Again, I can't lie. The way the Body Cleanse works is a bit above my understanding of physics and particles. What I do know is the foot bath pulls out toxins from the various body systems. I went from having clear water to black and red particles as well as white foam. I noticed in the says following my allergies were much less severe than they had been in weeks and overall I felt more energetic.

The Flotation and Body Cleanse foot bath were the perfect end to a very long weekend. I will definitely be back again and perhaps add in a massage or facial next time. If you're in the Denver area please check out A New Spirit. They're a hidden gem, with reasonable prices and exquisite quality of services. 

No comments: