May 16, 2009

The Routine of Change


"The art of progress is to preserve order amid change and to preserve change amid order."~ Alfred North Whitehead


As I was moving into my condo this past few weeks this quote rang in my brain. I have been so busy the last few months with work, volunteer work, and life that it helped me add structure and order. When you don't have much spare time you have to make every minute count but also make sure that you're being effective and moving forward.

Then when unpacking amongst the chaos of the boxes I realized I had a routine. There were certain things that needed to happen for me to feel established in my home. The shower curtain had to go up, the bed had to be in the right place, my bathroom had to be functional for my morning routine and my pets had to be comfortable. I realized that even during a time of great change I had a routine. Having lived in this home before, a few years ago, I was also intrigued at how I began to put things back in their "place". I made a concious decision about what elements I wanted to be different but then it's as though my subconcious handed me a cup of tea and said, "Let's just make this as easy as possible and stick with what we know."

I find it interesting the way we work so hard to preserve our sanity during change by calling up on our previous experiences, our memories, and our instincts. Even in times of positive change we can be fearful and yet we respond with amazing tools to add a routine, a sense of familiarity and stability.

Certainly nothing profound...just some thoughts from the Cupcake.

No comments: