May 12, 2009

Wednesday Playlist: You've Come A Long Way Baby Part One

So I have a problem, I love the pop music of the girl groups and singers of the 1950's and 1960's. The songs are catchy, sweet, and just make me want to sing along (occasionally there is a dance but you will never see it). At the same time the messages aren't always empowering. The message was often "Do whatever you have to in order to get a man and keep him". For a fairly independent woman I find that concept pretty backwards. However it was a different time, I could dwell on the "dark side" of the music but I would rather just go on singing along and do my sassy (yet private) dance. After all in the end Lesley Gore is an out and proud lesbian, and we've come a long way!

Next week will be a look at female artists of the last 15 years. How far have we come? I'll let you know next week.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


No comments: