August 31, 2009

The Little Cupcake That Could:
My First 5K Race

Last weekend I was the park knitting with a few friends when Lynn asked me if I wanted to do the SkirtChaser 5K with her the following weekend. This was the first time in my life when I didn’t immediately think of a million excuses of why I couldn’t do it. Since I began bike commuting about three months ago my running has gone out the window, and it wasn’t anything to write home about prior to that. However, I knew I could finish even if I didn’t run the whole time and that was something.

Knowing I had a good friend in town that weekend who runs races gave me that extra push. I decided if Paul-Baptiste says yes I am in. If he decides he doesn’t want to, then I won’t do it. Lucky for me, he was in. So I signed up, got in a few runs the week prior and waited for race day.

In the SkirtChaser women start the race and men follow three minutes later. The energy pre-race was contagious and there were a ton of great sponsors at the event so it helped me work through the nervousness and self-doubt that was starting to creep up.

Lynn and I got in position to start and as we took off I was surprised to see all the different types of women in the race. Pre-run all I could focus on were these amazing athletic goddesses with their tan skin and figures boasting about 8% body fat (if that). However when immersed in the group I saw all kinds of women tall, short, skinny, curvy, girls in their teens, women with their daughters, and women in their retirement years. That to me was the best part. It was really cool seeing all these different women out there for fun with different goals and different motivating factors.

As I worked through the course alternating walking and running I felt I was in excellent company. The groups of people cheering on the street made a huge difference in the moments I felt alone and talking with fellow race participants was helpful too. Getting close to the finish line I felt special to be apart of a great group. Knowing Paul-Baptiste and Lynn were there waiting for me gave me that extra push to run the last portion. After crossing the finish line I ticked off my check list for the race.

Goal One: Finish the Race - Check
Goal Two: Finish within my Goal Time - Check
Goal Three: Have Fun - CHECK CHECK CHECK!

I know sometimes I may sound like a broken record but once again what I am sharing with you is a story of throwing your fears aside and just trying something new. Rather than think about all the reasons you can’t do something think about all the reasons you can. Be realistic in your goal setting but keep trying new things. You never know what you’ll experience along the way. Today’s a rest day but tomorrow I start training for my next 5K and I hope to see you out there!

2 comments:

LMar said...

I didn't realize this was your first 5K race. Congratulations! Extra hugs for completing it within your goal time. :)

LMarle

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you decide to do the race with me - it was so much fun! And you did awesome!

Now we need to start planning our German milkmaid/Baywatch outfits for the next one. :)