August 19, 2009

Recipe Review: Vegan Pumpkin Scones

I have recently embarked on a quest to eat vegan eighty percent of the time which has helped me to look outside my normal recipes and try new things. I was looking for new breakfast option and came across Pumpkin French Toast at the Post Punk Kitchen Blog. While I am sad to say I wasn't able to try the recipe yet it did get me thinking I love pumpkin and would love to incorporate it in an portable breakfast item. Then it hit me, I love the Pumpkins Scones at Starbucks, maybe there is a vegan option.

I was lucky to find the Two Vegan Sisters Blog filled with mouth-watering recipes that I can't wait to try. One of the sisters happened to make a coffee-house style Pumpkin Scone and I baked a batch up. The original recipe can be found here, complete with a glaze and icing drizzle recipe. I made a few modifications to the spices and the liquids and left out the icing to make the caloric intake a little lower. The scones are delicious (even without the glaze) and go great with coffee in the morning.

4 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup Earth Balance margarine
1 cup pumpkin purée
3/4 cup soy creamer

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt. Use a pastry blender to add in Earth Balance until thoroughly mixed. In another large bowl, whisk together pumpkin and soy creamer.

Add combined dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture. Mix, then form into 2 balls of dough. Pat out one ball of dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 10-inch circle. Use pizza wheel to cut dough into six wedges. Transfer wedges to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with second ball of dough.

Bake until golden for 15 minutes. Transfer baked scones to a wire rack to cool, with parchment or wax paper underneath to catch drips.

Makes 12 scones.

No comments: