December 2, 2009

Book Review: Cirque Du Soleil The Spark Created by Lyn Heward and written by John U. Bacon



My interest in Aerial Dance began with my first Cirque Du Soleil experience. Quidam was their first touring show to come to Denver. It was the most amazing feeling watching the performers and being caught up in their magic. I have been to each touring show that has come to Denver since then. Six different shows in all and each time I feel a sense of awe and inspiration. After delving into Aerial basics and realizing how hard it truly is, I had more respect for the artists and wanted to know how do they keep that spirit alive and how can I incorporate that feeling in my daily life. Apparently I was not alone.

I came across a wonderful, yet quick read, called Cirque du Soleil: The Spark - Igniting the Creative Fire that Lives within Us All. Created by Lyn Heward and written by John U. Bacon the book details how one Sports Marketing Agent turns to Cirque Du Soleil to reignite the fire in his career and other aspects of his life.

While taking a sabbatical from work, Frank tags along with one of his athletes and she begins the training program to see if she has what it takes to be a member of Cirque Du Soleil. During that time Frank stays at the artists' residence and goes through various trials of his own. His education and training are not limited to the performance elements but set design, costuming, make-up, marketing, and so much more. Frank learns how every member of Cirque from the receptionist and chefs to the performers and directors play pivotal roles. Without each individual spark there would not be a fire.

As Frank talks with each of his guides on the journey he, and the reader, pick up key lessons. These simple ideas can be brought to each of our lives. Some of my favorites are:

"Constraints on time, money, and resources can be motivators! Some of our most inspired ideas have arisen from the most Spartan situations."

"Most people hate deadlines. It hasn't occurred to them they can be a good thing"

"To relax I go hang gliding....When I jump off a cliff I cannot think about anything else now, can I? The world below melts away."

"You don't have to be an athlete or an artist to reinvent your life, your work, or your world."

Whether your curious about being behind the scenes at Cirque Du Soleil or you've been looking for a kick to revamp and evolve your life this book is an excellent read. Also a great holiday gift for someone ready to reclaim their own spark.

No comments: