February 4, 2010

Why do I do it?


It has been brought to my attention by one mister Martin Pribble (aka @martinpribble) and a few other people that I am busy. Really busy, maybe too busy. As of late my life has been filled up with preparing for the Duathlon in May but more importantly I have been working on Gear and Cheer. This will be my third year involved with the event and my first year as official Event Chair and liaison for The Women's Wilderness Institute's Board of Directors.

If you're unfamiliar with the event it is an amazing silent auction in the Boulder that raises money for the Girl's Programs and Trauma Survivor Programs of The Women's Wilderness Institute. The money raised allows for scholarships and financial aid to those who may otherwise miss out on these opportunities at confidence and strength building.

Last year when I wrote about Gear and Cheer and TWWI I focused on how their unique teaching style truly appeals to women and girls by teaching in a challenging yet nurturing environment. I am thrilled to have learned to climb with the organization but it wasn't until I joined the Board that I discovered something amazing that came from the courses. I was empowered after my time in TWWI programs. After learning to climb I was able to go off on my own and climb some more. I knew when to seek more help to advance but also I have the foundation to go on my own.

The TWWI mission is this:
The Women's Wilderness Institute (TWWI) is a nonprofit organization with the mission of strengthening the courage, confidence, and leadership qualities of girls and women, through the support and challenge of wilderness- and community-based experiences.



After reflecting on this statement and all that I have taken away I am so proud to be on the Board and continuing to make this mission a reality. If other women and girls have an experience as amazing as mine then I know we're doing something right. So this is why I do it. This is why I stay busy. When something helps you transform your life you want to share it with others and keep it alive.

If you're in the Boulder/Denver area I invite you to join us at our Carnivale-themed Gear and Cheer on March 27 at The Spot in Boulder. Early bird tickets are only $30 and include food and beverage sampling, entertainment, and an opportunity to bid on some amazing gear and merchandise.

If you're interested in our programs visit the website for more details or request a catalog by contacting Lori Mathews at 303.938.9191.

2 comments:

lori said...

this is inspiring, talissa :) so glad you're part of twwi's family!!

martinpribble said...

I would love to, but alas, I am on the other side of the planet :(