November 11, 2010

Bountiful: Part 2
Purple Potato Chips

As a follow up to my post about local foods earlier this week I want to share another creation from my Door-to-Door Organics delivery.  Last week I received four purple potatoes. In a sense a potato is a potato, I probably could have used them in any recipe that calls for potatoes. I decided to try something new (at least new to me). I wanted a snack that could be good for the work day or a snow shoeing adventure.

After looking online and getting the basic idea for cooking times for baked potato chips I went to the spice cabinet and this is what I came up with. The chips can be a little spicy so if you like a mild chip use less Cayenne.

Ingredients
4 Medium Purple Potatoes
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1 Tsp Sea Salt
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1 Tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
1 Garlic Cloved Finely Minced

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice the potatos, try to cut uniform slices. Set aside. In a large bowl combine olive oil, spices, and garlic. Add potatoes and toss to coat. I recommend using your hands (after washed of course) to make sure each slice is coated.

Lay slices evenly across two baking sheets. When laying out on the sheet make sure to keep thicker slices on one sheet and the thinner slices on the other, this will make it easier to gauge when they're done and remove a whole sheet at a time.

Bake for about 12-15 minutes until crisp on the under side. Flip and cook another 8-15 minutes. Remove from oven. You can either enjoy once they've cooled a bit for fresh warm chips or place in an airtight container.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Chris said...

I love your blog! I made purple French fries with purple potatoes.

Tali said...

Thanks Chris! Purple French Fries sound fun!