December 8, 2010

You Get What You Need

The Sunday following Thanksgiving, The Womens Wilderness Institute hosted a celebration of gratitude in cooperation with the Colorado Mountain Club and the American Alpine Museum. I signed up to volunteer and man the sign-in table. It had been a long weekend of work, homework for Yoga Teacher Training and the general holiday stuff and I was ready to just sit at the table and smile and greet people.

Upon arrival I was asked if I could belay on the rock wall. A few volunteers weren't able to make it and I had my gear so of course I was in. While not a hardcore physical activity, belaying takes a lot of mental focus especially when belaying those new to climbing and children. So truth be told it took a few minutes to shift from my plan of sitting and greeting to being very active and engaged.

As I began to work with my first pair of climbers I could see the universe's plan unfolding a bit. After a weekend of studying for Yoga Teacher Training there was a lot of self-doubt beginning to brew. Would I be able to convey instructions in a way that people could understand? Am I really cut out to teach when there will always be so much to learn? How would my students respond to me?

All of that went out the window when I began to help two teenage girls with their first ever climbing experience. Not only was I going to be belaying but I would be teaching. I got them geared up so they were comfortable and felt safe. I taught them how to tie-in and the basic commands a climber needs to know. As one would climb I was able to watch her, provide coaching, and still answer the questions of the other girl about belaying and technique. All in all, I managed a lot in a very isolated area and window of time. I didn't think too much on how it would get done, just focused on doing it.

When it was time for them to take a break I was surprised at how fun it was. Then I made the connection, it was my passion for climbing that allowed me to share and teach and encourage. It will be my passion for yoga that will keep me centered and able to share and teach and encourage my yoga students.

So even in times of doubt, I know I can get past the hurdles because my passion drives me and I really believe this path I am on is exactly where I am supposed to be. The universe gave me just what I needed that day and luckily I was open to listen. You may not always get what you want but you always get what you need.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

So instead of just greeting and smiling your shared knowledge and changed lives. I'd say job very well done. :)

Tali said...

Thank you! The irony is some days it's just a greeting and a smile that can change a life too. You just never know where you need to be and what you need to do but it's good to listen to what the universe wants. :)

a said...

funny how the world works, huh? i decided a long time ago to listen to what the universe says to me, though i'm not always listening, i get told.

sounds like it was exactly what you needed at the time.

Tali said...

That is a great point. It seems the universe starts my whispering in your ear, then a little louder if you don't listen the first time. Eventually it will yell and scream and stomp it's feet until you pay attention.

Tiffany said...

I actually like your last comment best, Tali. Too many times The Voice gets ignored. I like the visual of it stomping and screaming until we pay attention. :)

Brenda Porter said...

Tali, Thanks so much for sharing experience, as well as your passion and gratitude at our party! You are a great teacher!

Tali said...

Tiffany - Thank you :)

Brenda - Thank you so much for the experience. So much fun.

Caleb said...

Love your closing comment! It seems to be the case for me a lot lately.

Tali said...

Thank you, Caleb