April 26, 2009

Checking In and Following Up...

It's been a crazy couple of weeks but it's been worth it. The Gear and Cheer Fundraiser for The Women's Wilderness Institute was an amazing success. We raised a lot of money for our Girl's programs and again it was a great opportunity to bring like minded people together.

I am so thankful to all the sponsors that donated food, beverages, and of course wonderful gear and products for the auction. I am also incredibly proud of the committee and all the volunteers that pulled together and made it happen.

The night was personally very touching for me. I finally got to meet some of my favorite people on Twitter, as well as Miss Emma from my blog, and was honored by The Women's Wilderness Institute. Courtney, this year's marketing intern, presented me with a rug made from a retired climbing rope. This amazing gift will return to to TWWI next year to be passed on to another contributor however I will cherish it during the time I have it.

Sometimes volunteer work can feel never ending and honestly there are times where you can feel like it's just too much to take on. At times when I felt overwhelmed with the event planning I looked around and reminded myself I was surrounded by a great committee and we were all working for a great cause. In addition, TWWI has certainly gone above and beyond to help me recognize the importance of my contribution and make me feel appreciated. Now I just have to take a step back and figure out what the next year will hold for me.

And....for those that enjoyed my Late Bloomer's Challenge I wanted to recommend two other blogs for you. Both are stories of women who climb and how life has changed since they began climbing:

Where Were You Before Climbing? - The Rock Climber Girl
Where I Was Before Climbing - Katie


Photos by Xavier Enriquez

No comments: