April 2, 2009

My Adventures In Cycling
Part One: Prepared Like a Girl Scout, Where's my Badge?

It seemed as soon as I was road ready the weather decided to work against me. However I have managed a few rides and realized just like any other activity being outdoors is much different than the gym. You can't compare running on the treadmill to a trail run and riding uphill in the cold with wind blowing is so different than the stationary bike.

Since the weather hasn't worked in my favor I have been training and riding in smaller increments working my way up for the big daily commute goal. One part of that goal is being prepared for emergencies, particularly flat tires. I have outfitted my bike with an under seat bag including the core basic repair items:

  • Spare tube

  • Patches

  • Tire Pressure Gauge

  • Tire Levers

  • A Multi Tool

  • Pump


Of course having the tools is useless if you don't know how to use them. A client who commutes via bike frequently told me just sit down and change the tire three times in a row, in the comfort of your own home. The last thing you want is to have your first tube change be on the side of the road when the sun is going down. I watched this video a few times and went for it.


How to Change a Flat Tire on a Bicycle -- powered by ExpertVillage.com

It was so much easier than I had imagined and I feel better when I am out on the path miles away from home. My next installment will include tips for making your bicycle commute more comfortable in the mean time,visit REI's Expert Advice Site for a Basic Cycling Checklist.

1 comment:

icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

Yeh... weather would really prohibit me from getting out there. I have to say that you are a braver, more motivated woman than I am, Talissa-delisha.

I'm proud of you for doing it and being smart about it.